Most of us do not eat enough vegetables. Those who do sport and want to look better think first of meats, dairy, and other protein sources, letting the vegetables in the background.
Less than 27% of the people worldwide eat 3 servings of vegetables a day, which is the recommended fruits and vegetable intake. And vegetables that we eat tend to be low in nutrients (green salad) or are part of unhealthy menus (fries and pizza). By the end of this article, you’ll learn why are the fruits and vegetables important for a healthy body and mind and you’ll find out 10 ways to eat more vegetables and fruits.
The benefits of vegetables and fruits consumption
Not only that they are delicious, vegetable consumption can reduce obesity and reduce the risks of occurrence of diseases and may help us to solve most health problems but also those related to physical appearance. This article will motivate you to introduce vegetables into the diet.
Most people think of vegetables as a healthy food but does not make the connection between them and low levels of body fat. First, vegetables are very low in calories. Vegetables are high in dietary fiber.
Here are some ideas for useful weight loss vegetables:
- kale kale
- green peppers
Vegetables are full of antioxidants that will support the health. Another benefit of diets that are rich in plants is that the vegetables fight oxidative stress that builds up and causes inflammation. Also, vegetables have many benefits in terms of a better digestion and healthier intestines.
10 Ways to Eat More Vegetables and Fruits
1. Add vegetables to all your favorite foods: put a few slices of zucchini, spinach leaves, and sliced cooked carrots to lasagna, or combine tomatoes, mushrooms or asparagus with scrambled eggs in the morning.
2. Keep fruits and vegetables in the kitchen somewhere in sight, so to remind you to eat them all the time. Either a small lunch snack or something to eat with meat, or for a snack while cooking or when you lust for a juice, vegetables are there, next you. If you’ll throw them in the refrigerator, you will surely forget about them.
3. Double the amount of vegetables you use in salads, soups, sandwiches, or pizza. Some dishes are tasty even if they have more vegetables, so do not limit yourself to a delicious chicken in a tomato dressing and garlic only, but add parsley, onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, eggplant, and so forth.
4. Make your own fruit toppings for yogurt. If you do not like plain yogurt, try it with fruits like berries, raspberries, strawberries, cranberries, raisins, kiwi, bananas. You can use any combination you enjoy to have a tasty and nutritious breakfast.
5. Drink the fruits and vegetables. An easier way to consume fruits and vegetables is to prepare yourself juices or smoothies. The options are endless because you can combine not only fruits but fruits and vegetables like spinach with apples and avocados, carrots, bananas.
6. Choose one day a week to eat only fruits and vegetables and no meat. The best option may be Monday because usually at the beginning of the week we are more enthusiastic to do things properly and also comes after the weekend when you’ve already made some excesses. Eliminating meat once a week can reduce the risks of heart diseases.
7. Integrate into a weekly menu, a vegetable that is in season or a new season fruit. It is best to give a run to the market and choose something that you have not eaten recently.
8. More vegetables in pasta sauce. Usually, take a jar of sauce and then add beans, peas, corn, mushrooms, sliced tomatoes, and anything else you have on hand.
9. Prepare fruity deserts. Everybody loves desserts! Quit on high-calorie desserts, full of chocolate, cream, or sugar, and prepare some fruity ones. Much more natural, and much healthier.
10. While at work or school, replace your lunch meal with apples. Apples are a great way to get all the necessary nutrients and to hydrate. And, if losing weight is what you want, apples will help you in that direction, too.
Use your imagination and find new ways to apply these 10 ways to eat more vegetables and fruits.
I am a young woman, a mother of two beautiful kids, and I am passionate about reading and writing. I am a flexible writer, with huge experience on topics related to health, babies and kids, lifestyle, fashion, IT&Tech, relationships, and world’s mysteries.
Armed with my articles as weapons against wrongness, I hope to help people living a better and healthier life, and I’ll always be a militant for justice, trying to teach people about what is good and what is wrong.