Weight gain has become one of the major concerns over the last few years. Unhealthy eating habits, a sedentary life, a slow metabolism and some health conditions are the most common weight gain triggers. More often than not, people just want those extra pounds off to look better.
Unfortunately, it happens quite often to hear a dieter say looks are first yet the main problem with extra weight is the way it affects your health. Since this is the common approach – looks first, health second- many people try all sorts of diets meant to rid them of the weight surplus in a short time. Going to a doctor and a nutritionist to create a custom-based weight loss program is the first step to take rather than jumping to trying a diet that’s in fashion.
Diets are a necessity when they refer to healthy eating habits and a whim when they are restrictive and lack a healthy balance of nutrients. Many doctors don’t even agree with the term and concept of a diet. What they think of when saying diet is rather a healthy lifestyle involving all the changes a person should make in order to lose weight, changes he/she should stick to. Even if diets are quite controversial, they still are popular. What has 2017 brought as far as diets are regarded? Let’s find out in today’s post.
Best general diets in 2017
Health care experts often call a personalized eating schedule a diet. Personalized is the keyword here. In order for a diet to work, it should be created based on a person’s health conditions, weight loss goals, age, and other such factors. Still, there are some general diets that apparently worked for people of various conditions and ages.
There are various categories and aspects taken into account when rating a diet ranging from how easy it is to follow it to its effectiveness in triggering weight-loss, safety, and nutritional coverage. Based on such criteria, several experts together with US News have classified the best overall diets as follows:
- DASH Diet is the no.1 diet for the seventh time in a row. Although not created for weight loss, the DASH diet helps you eat more healthily and while doing so, you will eliminate many unhealthy foods that trigger extra weight. Once you cut on certain types of high-sugar and high-fat foods, losing weight will be a natural effect even if it will happen slowly.
- The Mediterranean diet ranked #2 thanks to its effectiveness in what losing weight is concerned. The diet is based on five Harvard Medical studies and it consists mainly of fruits, grains, beans, vegetables, and olive oil. It is lower in eggs, meat, and dairy instead. It has been appreciated not only for its weight-loss effects but also for its heart-healthy benefits.
- Combining the previous two diets, MIND ranked only #3 since its primary focus is boosting one’s brain health.
Best weight loss diets
Now, the best diets that helped the people who tried them to lose weight are the following:
- Weight Watchers aims to help you lose weight by leading a healthier lifestyle. The diet claims that you will lose up to 2 pounds a week being designed to help people have healthier eating habits, move more and change their mindset. Find out more about it here.
- The Volumetrics diet ranked #2. Based on the idea that you should eat low-calorie foods that keep you full, the Volumetrics diet includes “less energy dense foods” or foods that have a high fiber/water content. Such foods include soup broths, non-starchy veggies, and nonfat milk.
Worst diets in 2017
Now, not all diets out there get you the results they promise. The worst diets in 2017 are the following.
- Whole30 ranked #1 since it is a restrictive diet as experts say, cutting out entire food groups. Keep in mind that a diet should not deprive you of the nutrients you need to meet your daily needs. If a diet is too restrictive, you might end up with unpleasant health issues.
- Although popular and tried by many people, the Dukan diet is also part of the worst diet list this year. The reason why it falls into this category is that this particular diet is heavy in proteins and eliminates important groups of food.
- The third worst diet this year is the one known as Paleo. It has “won” a place in the negative list because of its restrictiveness which makes it a less fortunate candidate when it comes to sustainability.
What to expect in 2018?
The diets that have worked in the last few years will probably be the ones that will lead to the desired results in 2018 as well. Perhaps we might have the chance to get to try new diets but what has proven to work so far will surely get priority or at least attention.
As final thoughts regarding one’s need to lose weight, take this step seriously since it’s not just a matter of looks. Losing weight should be the positive effect of healthy eating habits if extra kilos are the ones that trouble you. You will often hear nutritionists disagreeing with the term diet. They rather prefer to help people adopt a healthy lifestyle and stick to the positive changes they make, which are not limited to what one eats. A healthy lifestyle should also be based on regular and correctly performed sports activities as well as a sound attitude towards life and positive thinking.
Remember that it is best to see your health care specialist or nutritionist before trying any diet. You are unique and so should be your eating program. It should be created based on your health conditions, age, weight loss goals, and other such factors. Last but not least, keep in mind that a healthy lifestyle will keep you in great shape, too. Be patient with your body, nourish it properly and the results won’t fail to appear.