The reasons one puts on weight are various. Sometimes, there might be something wrong with your thyroid gland or your metabolism, other times the extra pounds are a result of a sedentary life and unhealthy diet. If your case is related to chaotic eating habits and you want to reach a healthy and normal weight the safe way, the thing to focus on is your diet. Now, the first thing to do is to see your doctor and nutritionist and have a word about your needs. They will help you create a custom-made diet that will suit your characteristics best. It is very likely for you to get the so-called low-carb diet. It is one of the most effective when it comes to losing weight healthily. Don’t rely on supplements alone to get that body you dream of. Keep in mind that losing weight is a complex process that involves healthy eating and regular sports activities.
Weight loss diets – what you need to know
A weight- loss diet is focused on reducing starches and sugars and having foods rich in protein and health fats instead. Besides that, it is highly recommended to use as little processed food as possible. This means you should go for natural foods that humans used throughout evolution. Therefore, it is ok to include basic, natural food into your diet. And even if we label it as a diet, to have such eating habits actually means to lead a healthy lifestyle, one that comes with scientific evidence.
What foods to avoid
When revisiting your current lifestyle with a view to change it for better and have more healthy habits, eating ones included, there will be a to-eat list and a to-avoid list. We’ll start with the foods you should avoid in order to lose weight and support your health. Therefore, make sure you reduce the following foods:
• Sugar and artificial sweeteners – It is now well-known that sugar is addictive being a major cause of cardiovascular problems, obesity, and diabetes. Try to avoid such foods as much as possible in order to boost your health and also reduce your weight.
• Trans fats – These chemically modified fats should be avoided no matter if you want to lose weight or not. They are harmful for your health and should be eliminated from your diet.
• Highly processed foods – such foods are generally low in nutrients and contain unnatural chemicals. It is best to avoid them as much as you can no matter if you want to reduce or weight or not.
• “Diet” foods – many of the so-called low-fat diet foods are actually highly processed and contain artificial sweeteners or sugar. Make sure you always read the ingredient list carefully. Many such foods should actually be avoided because of the unhealthy ingredients they include.
And your to-eat list should include…
As many natural, unprocessed foods as possible. Introduce foods that humans are genetically adapted to. Make the following part of your diet:
• Fish – healthy and rich in omega-3 fatty acids and other nutrients, fish is a great option when it comes to healthy foods. Make sure you have fish every week. Fatty fish like salmon is recommended.
• Vegetables –there are several reasons why vegetables are so praised and recommended. Rich in fiber and nutrients, they will help you get your daily dose of nutrients, keep a healthy digestive system and enjoy energy in a healthy way.
• Fruits – rich in fiber and vitamins, fruits are easy to prepare. You can eat them raw or cook them the way you like it. Be moderate about them, though, as they are high in sugar.
• Nuts and seeds – they are a healthy snack rich in nutrients. Make almonds, walnuts, and other such seeds part of your diet but eat in moderation if you want to reduce your weight.
• Eggs – known as part of the most nutritious foods, eggs are a must when it comes to a healthy and balanced diet. Don’t exaggerate though and eat them in moderation.
• Water – Yes, your diet should include the necessary amount of water. Try to drink water throughout the day and especially around your exercise time. Whenever you are thirsty, make sure you have a glass of water or so. This is a clear sign your body needs it, so don’t ignore it.
• Tea – With such a great offer of teas, replace sodas that contain sugar and artificial sweeteners. Go for a tea instead. It’s healthy, rich in antioxidants and some of them contain less caffeine than coffee. Ask your nutritionist about the best teas for you.
• Healthy fats and oils – fats are an essential nutrient used for energy and as a brain activity enhancer. Make unsaturated fats, typically found in oils like canola or olive oil, nuts and fish part of your diet. They are considered heart-healthy and good for a healthy weight loss diet.
Now, there are all sorts of diet plans out there. You will find low-fat/Mediterranean/low-carb/low-fat, high-protein diets and so on. Remember that what works for some people might not work for you. That’s why we offer general guidelines and information and recommend you to see your doctor and dietitian whenever you encounter a health problem or you want to lose weight. A diet that is created depending on your health, age, and weight is the one that is likely to work.
Always remember that a healthy weight loss plan takes time and involves not only certain foods but regular exercises as well as a certain eating schedule, too. Don’t rely on quick fixes if you want long-term results. A miracle supplement or a drastic diet will reduce your weight for a short period of time. Once you go back to your eating habits, it is very likely for your weight to go back to the way it was before you started your diet. Allow your body to adjust to the new eating habits and schedule, revisit your entire current lifestyle and make the necessary adjustments not just for now but for as long as you can. Sooner than you think, the changes will no longer feel new or strange and will become your way of living.