Everyone who has kids knows that especially little kids are somehow picky and they refuse eating many foods that might be healthy for them. The little kids are very details oriented and if they don’t like how the food looks on the plate or how it smells they will most probably refuse to it, and that’s why healthy kids-friendly meals are a must to force your kids to get the necessary proteins, vitamins, and other nutrients from foods.
Really healthy kids-friendly meals full of vitamins and nutrients
Lately, people meals contain less meat, leading to a lack of proteins and other nutrients. Our healthy kids-friendly meals provide to their little bodies all the substances needed for a proper growth and development, without meat, so our recipes are applicable also for the vegetarian parents.
Sweet potatoes with quinoa recipe
Quinoa contains many fibers.
This mixture of sweet potatoes and quinoa contains Vitamin B6, Vitamin C (important for blood cell formation, accelerates healing and is involved in the production of collagen, which keeps skin elasticity), large amounts of vitamin D (important for the immune system), magnesium, and large amounts of iron (combating anemia).
- 6 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 2 cups of water
- 1 red pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 a cup of corn kernels
- 1/4 a cup of cilantro (chopped)
- 1 medium-sized onion (chopped)
- 1/2 a cup of black beans (canned, rinsed, and drained)
- minced garlic
- 1 or 2 teaspoons of cumin
- juice of 1 or 2 limes
The method of preparation:
- wash the sweet potatoes and prick them with a fork
- heat the oven to 200 degrees and bake the potatoes for about 40 minutes
- when the potatoes are baked, cut them in half (lengthwise) and hollow them with a spoon.
- in a saucepan, rinse the quinoa, then drain the water
- add 2 cups of water to the quinoa and boil it on medium heat for about 15 minutes
- when the quinoa is cooked, add the remaining ingredients and mix well
- fill the potatoes with this mixture
- finally, according to taste, you can sprinkle some cheese and put in the oven for 1 or 2 minutes until the cheese melts
Spinach roulade recipe
Spinach has many vitamins, but most importantly, it has iron. However, not all children accept it easily but Spinach Roulade is a snack that’s a healthy and kids-friendly meal. You’ll need:
- a handful of fresh spinach, steamed or frozen
- 3 eggs
- 4 tablespoons of wholemeal or white
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- parmesan cheese
As for the filling, you’ll need:
- about 500 g of cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- feta cheese
- a red pepper
- little dill
The method of preparation:
- mix the eggs with the flour, the baking powder, and the parmesan cheese, and keep mixing up until a smooth paste is obtained
- pour the entire mixture on a baking paper and put in the hot oven for 10-15 minutes
- meanwhile, cut the peppers and the dill and mix them well with the feta cheese, the cottage cheese, and the butter
- let it for a few minutes to cool down and afterward start stretching it and stuffing it with the mixture, and finally, roll it
- put the Spinach Roulade into the refrigerator.
Best served chilled.
Stuffed mushrooms recipe
Mushrooms don’t contain a milligram of fats. Instead, the mushrooms are rich in proteins, fibers, vitamins (especially Vitamin B complex), and essential minerals. A handful of mushrooms gives the body’s daily necessary of potassium, iron, and selenium. Can be eaten raw, in salads, or baked, mushrooms are absolutely delicious. Here’s a recipe for stuffed mushrooms you must try it for your kids.
Ingredients for 2 servings:
- 4 large mushrooms
- 100g of cheese, or blue cheese
- 25g of chopped hazelnuts
- thyme to taste
- a pinch of salt
- one teaspoon of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
The method of preparation:
- wash the mushrooms well without removing the peel
- squeeze the garlic, mix it with a teaspoon of olive oil, salt, and thyme
- smear the mushrooms with the garlic mixture
- add the crushed peanuts
- add pieces of cheese on top and pepper to taste
- heat the oven to 180 degrees
- put the stuffed mushrooms into the oven for 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and the mushrooms were dipped
Vegan ‘Meatballs’ recipe
Every mother has accepted at least once her kids’ refusal to eat various vegetables. Maybe they don’t like how the vegetables look like on the plate, or how you cooked them, no matter which is the reason, they will not eat some vegetables. Try being more flexible and cook the vegetables in a different way, and maybe your kids will love it. Besides, this is a healthy kids-friendly meal.
- 1 zucchini, broccoli and/or cauliflower
- 1/4 a cup of flour
- 1/2 a teaspoon of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1/4 a teaspoon of garlic powder
- rapeseed oil or other vegetable oil
The method of preparation:
- place the vegetables in a food processor and chop them finely
- flip them in a bowl
- add the flour, the salt, the egg, the basil, and the garlic powder
- stir well to mix up the ingredients
- take a pan, pour some oil into it, and heat it
- pour a spoonful of the mixture
- bake for about 1 or 2 minutes on each side
Best served with mustard, ketchup or marinara sauce.
Sweet but healthy kids-friendly meals
It is difficult to say how much sugar means too much for a kid, but one thing is certain, that sweets are essentially useless for the body because they offer fewer vitamins, minerals or other nutrients. Most pediatricians recommend not to add sugar or salt to your baby’s diet in the first year of his life but our little ones are already used with sweet flavors, preferring sweet flavors, because breast milk is sweet, therefore the first taste that our babies tasted was the sweet one. However, it is important to reduce sugar in your kids’ diet as much as possible and encourage them to discover fruits and other healthy sweet foods.
So here are some recipes you can easily prepare, healthy and kids-friendly meals, and which will certainly please your kids.
1 – Rice pudding with banana recipe
You need a handful of rice, two cups of milk, a pod of vanilla and one banana. Wash the rice, then put it with the milk to boil. Add the seeds from the vanilla pod and cover with a lid. Leave them boiling about 35 minutes, meanwhile stirring occasionally. Finally, slice the banana and add it to the rice and milk composition. You can blend the composition to be more pleasant for your kids.
2 – Dessert yogurt with peach and banana recipe
This combination is delicious and is very pleasant for kids. In addition, it is easy to digest and can be used as a natural treatment for constipation. You need a yogurt, a peach, and a banana. Peel the peach, slice the banana, then blend them together with a blender. Finally, mix with the yogurt.
3 – Mango cream recipe
Mango contains many vitamins and minerals and is easily digested by the kids’ stomachs. In addition, the aroma and the delicious taste will please your kids. Grab a mango of about 150g, one Greek yogurt, and cinnamon powder. Peel the mango and slice it into pieces and then blend it to get a smooth paste. Mix it with the yogurt and the cinnamon powder and leave it for half an hour in the refrigerator.
4 – Cottage cheese with pear and vanilla recipe
This recipe is a healthy kids-friendly meal, being an excellent sweet snack. You need around 150 grams of cottage cheese, a large pear, and vanilla pods. Put the cottage cheese into a bowl and add the sliced pear and the seeds from the vanilla pod. Blend them until you get a smooth paste.
5 – Cream of yogurt with peach and tapioca recipe
Tapioca is an excellent source of carbohydrates that do not contain gluten. Instead, it contains significant amounts of folic acid, Omega 3 and Omega 6. You need a peach, half a cup of yogurt, half a cup of water and a quarter a cup of tapioca. First, prepare the tapioca as indicated on its package, then peel the peach and put it over the tapioca, and finally add the yogurt. Blend all the ingredients together. That’s it, now you can give this delicious healthy kids-friendly meal to your little ones.