Home insurance is offering a peaceful life, in its essence, knowing that no matter what will happen, your insurance company will help you ‘getting back on your feet’.
But when can you claim and why might you be refused? You should know these aspects before buying a home insurance just to know which one to buy.
When can you claim?
Commonly, home insurances cover for natural disasters (floods, earthquakes, tornadoes, landslides, and so on) and accidents (fire, flood, and so on), but also in the cases you provoke accidents to your neighbors like flooding your neighbor’s apartment.
Of course, some home insurances are cheaper, while others are more costly. This difference depends on the insurances companies (some are better than the others) and on how much the home insurances are covering.
Obviously, cheaper home insurances are not covering everything, as the more costly home insurances do.
So, when can you claim? It depends on what type of home insurance you bought and on how much it is covering.
Usually, you can claim when:
- a natural disaster causes damages to your house
- an accident occurs and causes damages to your house
- vandalism is happening
However, these are not the only dangers that might cause damages to your house. If you have a more costly house insurance, then you might claim when:
- wild animals causes damages to your house – if living in an area where wild animals may get close enough to your house in order to make damages (next to forests, for example)
- theft of important elements of the houses’ construction occurs – could be windows, pieces of your fence, roof pieces, and so on
- any supplementary costs that may occur in the consolidation of the house’s structure after damaging circumstances occurred or after the normal deterioration of the house, in time
On the other hand, home insurances can’t be created in order to cover events that can’t happen. In high-risk seismic areas the home insurances will cover for such a disaster but in low-risk seismic areas, this clause won’t exist in the home insurance contract.
A similar situation is also applicable in the other disasters cases.
The home insurances companies will always checkup your house and will make the necessary inquiries on the possible dangers your house is exposed to.
For example, if your house is in an area where floods can’t occur your home insurance will not usually cover for floods disasters. Therefore, if a flood occurs due to heavy rain or for any other reason, you can’t claim.
I’m telling you all these, to make you understand that home insurance policy may be tricky. Home insurance companies have no reason to completely present you with all the clauses since their main purpose is to sell.
But, if you’re already knowing all the important tips and tricks about home insurances, when you’ll be face-to-face with your favorite insurance company’s agent you’ll know what to ask him.