We marry for several reasons, among which we can remember the following, to share our triumphant moments or our failures, and last but not least to live a life with a certain person. Of course, the main reason we marry is to show to the others that we love a certain person. Another reason, less known and totally ignored, is that long marriage is good for health. I know, when in love and want to spend your life with your partner, the health is the last thing that might make you marry your partner.
Conventional wisdom believes that married people live longer, being healthier than single people.
Studies show that married people, especially men, are less likely to die sooner or die of heart disease or stroke.
Thus, as a bonus, marriage offers several things that make people happy, improving health and longevity.
The benefits of marriage are many and involve both female and male sex.
Marriage, disease-causing or not?
One study found that a poor marriage is associated with an increase in blood pressure, while a good marriage is associated with a lowering in blood pressure.
Married couples are proving an enviable physical condition. Compared to unmarried women, married women have less work-related stress, child stress, financial, or relationship stress.
Some studies have also confirmed that unmarried people spend twice as much time in hospitals than married people.
A married couple has good mental health
Studies tell us that divorce or separation doubles the risk of suicide in men. Women and married men consume less alcohol and use less marijuana or cocaine than unmarried.
Over 75% of alcohol consumers are unmarried, while the remaining 25% are married.
Some studies also show that these people tend not to experience depression. Married men do not know the meaning of the word ‘depression’, in comparison to those who are single.
Marriage: the key to a long life
According to Scott Haltzman, a clinical assistant professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior at Brown University in Providence, the answer is yes, we can have a longer life if married.
90% of the married women aged 45 years, at the start of a clinical study, have reached 65, without facing serious health issues.
In men, the results are even more amazing, so a married 48-year-old man has 90% chance of reaching the age of 65, while in the cases of unmarried men only a 60% rate to reach this age is applicable.
Other beneficial effects of marriage
- Marriage increases the likelihood of living in a neighborhood with financially stable neighbors. A marriage doubles the possibility that a couple may not live in a poor neighborhood but pass into a rich neighborhood. Also, dissolving a marriage seems to double the likelihood that a person moves into a poor and poorly populated neighborhood.
- Married men earn more money. Taking into account a number of factors that can recall education, compared to unmarried men, those who have a marriage earn 20% more money.
- Marriage will make you sleep better. Studies show that married women have a deeper sleep than others. It is to be noted that the effect and cause are not known precisely.
In other words, marriage is beneficial being related to health and well-being. People who are married tend to have better physical health, a good psychological state, and also a lower mortality risk.
Financially, men tend to earn a lot of money, while married women are less likely to get to poverty. Thus, marriage also accentuates the accumulation of large fortunes.
These being said, long marriage is good for health, and also for your bank accounts.
I am a young woman, a mother of two beautiful kids, and I am passionate about reading and writing. I am a flexible writer, with huge experience on topics related to health, babies and kids, lifestyle, fashion, IT&Tech, relationships, and world’s mysteries.
Armed with my articles as weapons against wrongness, I hope to help people living a better and healthier life, and I’ll always be a militant for justice, trying to teach people about what is good and what is wrong.